Tampons are the period product that makes your life much easier as there is no feeling of stickiness and discomfort.
Tampons give you the liberty to be confident, without worrying about leaks and stains. Using tampons allows women to stay more enthusiastic, without being worried about them ‘’falling’’ out of place.
So without much further ado, let’s talk about tampons and discuss everything you should know about it!
What is a tampon?
Tampons are little plugs that can be inserted inside your vagina to soak the menstrual fluid during menstruation. They are made up of absorbent material.
They are available in different sizes and absorbency strengths that you can choose depending upon your flow. They even eliminate the chances of foul period smell.
One of the strongest reasons to switch to cotton tampons is that it allows you to carry out your daily physical activities like gym and swimming. On the contrary, a pad isn’t too comfortable when it comes to physical activities.
What are they made of?
Tampons are made of cotton (purely organic or not 100% organic); rayon and with a blend of both. Their inner core is made of compressed layers of these fibers for strong absorbency. The outer layer is made of softer woven fabric to make insertion into the vagina smooth.
Why switch to tampons?
One of the biggest benefits of tampons over pads and other menstrual products is their size. Tampons are small and very easy to carry around.
Another biggest advantage that tampons have over pads is that tampons do not cause skin irritation and rashes. Most women feel that using tampons makes them feel cleaner.
Organic tampons are also available in the market. They protect your body from harsh chemicals as they are free of toxins.
Along with protecting your body, they safeguard the planet as well as they are biodegradable and made from natural cotton.
If your vagina comes in contact with chemicals, then it can hamper your hormonal balance and can also cause vaginal infections. But all this is eliminated when you are using a tampon.
Unlike pads, tampons are more comfortable to wear and people to wear them have shown signs of less intense cramps. Tampons are also small and portable. You can carry them in your pocket or purse.
They can be worn for up to 12 hours. They don’t hamper your vaginal pH and they don’t even cause any foul smell which often makes you embarrassed while using sanitary napkins.
Now, you must be thinking about how to use it and what is the procedure to insert it? Read further understand just that.
How to use a Tampon?
The concept of tampons and inserting them within our vagina can be frightening for many ladies! But your Cambio Woman is right here, holding your hands (minds, actually) through it all.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how you can use tampons -
- Before starting the process, you should make sure that your hands are clean.
- Inserting a tampon can be an exciting and a one-of-kind experience, so sit in a comfortable position, and relax.
- Hold the tampon in one hand. Place your index finger on the end of the thinner tube where the cord extends.
- Find the vaginal opening and use your finger to act like the plunger, and push the tampon into your vagina.
- Don’t panic if it takes some time. After all, it’s new for your vagina devi too! Though once you start using it, you will not face problems inserting it.
- If it is inserted correctly, you won’t feel it within you at all! That’s the beauty of tampons.
- But if you are feeling uncomfortable after inserting it, that means it is not inserted properly.
- No need to take it out. Just push it inside a bit with the help of your finger so it might settle into a more comfortable position.
- If you’re using an applicator, then find the vaginal opening and insert the applicator tip first. Smoothly move the plunger so that you can place the tampon inside your vagina.
- After inserting the tampon, you can remove the applicator.
And voila! You are now a proud tampon-using woman!
Now, after 4 hours, you have to let this tampon go! Here’s how you can remove a tampon, (and probably say goodbye!)
- Clean hands are a must, So wash your hands again.
- Again find a comfortable position, i.e. on the toilet. You can also stand with one leg elevated on the toilet or bathtub. But no silly business! We don’t want you to fall and break your pretty hips!
- Now tug the string attached to the tampon to pull it downwards.
- Don’t put all your strength into it. Keep it firm, but also gentle.
- Now you’ll find the base of the tampon with your thumb and index finger. Gently and slowly pull the tampon out.
- If it feels stuck, just relax and take a deep breath. Say nice things to yourself and your vagina devi. (permission to go full ‘aal-is-well’ mode granted.) You can also try bearing down as if having a bowel movement or giving a birth to baby, (much like 3 idiots’ “push Priya push!”)
- Once the tampon is out, dispose of the tampon by wrapping it up on a piece of paper.
- Eh! Wash your hands again!
Again lady! Make sure you change your tampons every 4-6 hours. 6 hours maximum!
Tampons for first time users
Here are some special tips for first-time users, for we leave no woman behind!
First of all, remind yourself that you are a strong beautiful woman, whose vagina is her friend!
- Relax! Relax! Relax! Try to relax at every stage.
- Next, start with the smallest size, which will make your insertion experience much easier.
- Don’t forget to have a backup! You can use panty liners or pads, just in case.
- Find your position. You must experiment with different positions that give you the most comfortable access to your vaginal opening. Sitting on a toilet or standing with one leg elevated on a bathtub/toilet is helpful to many ladies.
- You can also use water-based lubrication if you are having issues inserting a tampon. you can start using tampons on days of heavy flow, where the blood itself will serve as a good enough lube.
- Change tampons regularly within 4 hours.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for guidance. You know your Cambio Woman is always here with you!
Remember, practice makes one perfect! With practice, you will get a hang of it, and you’ll enjoy this super convenient and comfortable menstrual product.
Read more: comparison between sanitary pads and tampons
How to pick the right tampon for your period?
Tampons come in various sizes and absorbency levels. So here’s how you can determine the right tampon for your period -
- Your flow - Goes without saying that people with heavy menstrual flow must go for tampons with high absorbency levels, and vice versa.
- Material - If you have sensitive skin, you may want to stick to tampons that are 100% organic, to reduce the risk of rashes and irritation, or infection.
- Price - Everything in this world comes at a price, my child. Though, luckily, with different price points, (generally starting at 150 rs/pack). So choose the one affordable to you. Though hygiene and comfort must come first!
- Applicator - Applicators are a device that helps to insert the tampon into the vagina. Tampons are available with and without applicators. Though for the initial users and first-timers, it can come in very handy with the insertion process.
- Your activity level - The choice of your tampon may also vary with your level of physical activity. Heavy activity or water activities may ask for tampons fitting best to your menstrual needs.
Well well, your Cambio Woman never finishes without a list of pros and cons. So here they come!
- The best thing about tampons is you can certainly go swimming with them!
- They are these cute little cylindrical devices, so easy to carry them around.
- Tampons don’t stink! (pun intended XD)
- When inserted properly, tampons can actually be very comfortable!
- Comes in a variety of absorbency levels, so you can choose as per the agony of your uterus.
- And since tampons collect the blood even before it can leave the body, there’s a very reduced chance of leakage or stains. Though it must be plugged in properly.
- If tampons are left for too long, it increases the chances of Toxic Shock Syndrome - a very rare but serious bacterial infection.
- They can be a bit uncomfortable to use, as it goes within the vagina.
- The non-reusable tampons add to the environmental waste.
- Tampons can leak if not inserted properly.
Given the cons, are tampons safe to use?
Yes! Tampons are super safe to use when used correctly. Don’t forget to change your tampon every 4 hours, wash your hands before bringing it close to your vagina, and carry out the insertion process calmly and properly.
Though the above cons might not be the only thing frightening you from using tampons. Myths and superstitions reach our eyes and ears faster than the idea of using the product.
Very well then, your Cambio Woman is ready with her wasted tampons to shoot those myths away! (Bet you never imagined using tampons this way, huh?)
Myths about Tampons
Tampons increase the risk for endometriosis.
FACT- It is not at all possible because one of the causes of endometriosis is retrograde menstrual flow and starting your period before puberty which is not related to tampons.
You will lose your virginity after using a tampon.
FACT- No, this is not at all true. Tampons don’t interfere with your sexual activity.
Does it hurt to insert or remove a tampon?
FACT- It doesn’t hurt. If it does, then you haven’t inserted it properly.
You can’t pee while using a tampon.
FACT- For peeing, your urethra is responsible. And the vagina and urethra are two different things.
A tampon will fall.
FACT- If the tampon is inserted correctly, it will not move from the vagina. Until and unless the tampon is not pulled out, it will not fall.
Tampons can cause Toxic Shock Syndrome.
FACT- TSS is a condition caused by bacteria and if the tampon is inserted for a long duration then it might cause bacterial infection. However, if you maintain hygiene and change the tampon when it is needed then there are no chances of TSS.
Using a tampon for the first time can be a little challenging. But once you start using it, there is no turning back.
So all in all, we learned that using tampons isn’t as scary, painful, uncomfortable, or all other things your overthinking mind thought. It’s just a simple cylindrical device, who likes the warmth of your vagina! (hehe, eww much?)
Anyway, they are super fun and convenient to use.
But if you still have your reservations, no issue at all baby gurl!
But if you don’t want to insert anything within your vagina, you can opt for menstrual organic pads or even period panties! They also offer organic and environmentally - friendly options.
So it’s all about exploring yourself! Sit with the products, and play around with them till you find the one that makes you feel the utmost comfort with your periods like a menstrually proud Cambio Woman!
Read more: Types of menstrual products